Thursday, January 22, 2015

Silhouettes on the Shade

Vicky is the hostess for the CCEE Stampers in January.  This week she asked us to create cards using silhouette stamps AND to be sure to use a sentiment on the front.

Well.....I LOVE silhouettes, so the hardest thing was to decide which one I would use this week.  I went with this 'wild' one from (I think) I Brake for Stamps.  This should have been an easy card, but my embossing powder gave me a hard time.  What you can't see here is that the background on the image is sponged.  Well, I sponged with distress inks and apparently they 'attract' embossing powder.  I did this image three times....the first time the entire image was covered in embossing powder.......the second, I heated the sponged background before doing the embossing.......still stuck to the whole area........and the third time I 'dried' it with the heat gun twice, let it rest, and then embossed my image.  I ended up having to take a paint brush and get rid of most of the powder from the wrong places HOWEVER, as you can see, it is still a bit messy.......am going to have to figure this problem out......Have never had this problem before, but I may never have used the distress inks for sponging before.  Anyhooooooo....this was the best I could do.

Be sure to visit the CCEE Blog to see the fabulous silhouetted creations by the rest of this fabulous team.

8 comments:

StampOwl said...

Love this! I think I have something similar in my stash somewhere!

Maryann said...

I love this look Joanne, even with the messy embossing powder, I wonder if you used an anti static pillow on the ink after heat setting and before embossing if you would get the result you were after. - Maryann

Vicky Gould said...

Outstandng, Joanne! Love your sponged area. Do your sponging first, heat dry it a little and then do your stamp your images for embossing and see if that helps. When I took the SNS class, she had us do that, but we just used black ink. Hope it helps!

Lynn McAuley said...

Fabulous images and colors on this African beauty, Joanne!

Liz Williams said...

Love these pretty colors and these silhouettes, Joan. I have that same problem. Thanks, Vicky, for the tip.

Lois said...

Super card, Joanne! I love the look of African veldt images because the orange/yellow sky is always so gorgeous!

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

I love African images, and this silhouette of the animals and the baobab tree is wonderful. However, now you've got me singing "Silhouettes"...was always one of my fav songs!!

Sabrina said...

I'm sorry you had such trouble - I certainly think the end result is beautiful. The black borders framing your scene set it off perfectly.
I use distress inks for sponging most of the time, and yes indeed, there is quite a long dry time required if you're going to emboss afterwards. I usually leave mine for a few hours!! I embossed my bird first and then sponged ;-).